Red Line Yarn Crawl 2011
When there is a local yarn crawl in your neighborhood do you get as excited as I do? It’s funny really, how under normal circumstances I would never buy certain yarn. “But it was on sale!” “I bought it at an annual yarn event!” This is how I will justify my prospective purchases this weekend. That and, well, you can never have too much yarn.🙂
In Boston we have a crawl along the red line, a branch of the underground train system. It’s a pretty fast line compared to some lines *cough* green *cough* and you can hop on and off as you make your way to each destination. Three yarn shops participate: Minds Eye Yarn at the Porter Sq stop in Cambridge, The Windsor Button at the Park St stop in downtown Boston, and The Stitch House at the UMass/JFK stop in Dorchester. All are a short walk from their respective T stops and all mentioned various sales, raffles, or surprises on their websites!
This is only their second yarn crawl but last years was a blast, so knitters should definitely check it out. And if you are one of those poor college students (like myself) who love nice yarn but really shouldn’t/can’t afford it, you will be in for a treat (though I suppose this may be MORE dangerous on your wallet)! A couple highlights are:
- Berroco Trunk Show at the Windor Button from 12-3 (and 15% off all Berroco yarn!)
- A yarn tasting with Cascade at Minds Eye from 10-11:30
- Hourly door prizes and deep discounts for some yarns at the Stitch House all day
- All shops will be doing drawings, give-aways, and a coupon that gains value with every store you visit.
- The coupon is good at a later date, not this Saturday. You’ll get 5% off your purchase with every stamp you get (but you only get a stamp if you buy something)! Buy something at all 3 stores and you’ll receive 3 stamps, so 15% off one future purchase at one of the three stores.
- The Stitch House had bins of sale yarn last year. We hit this store later in the afternoon and it was super picked over. Definitely hitting this shop first this time!
- Mingle with the other shoppers/knitters. They are all on Ravelry and you can make some really cool friends.
- Don’t talk yourself out of a purchase out loud where others may overhear. You’re in a room of people who are all addicted to the lovely colors, fun textures, and warm wooliness of yarn! They will encourage you to buy more!😛
The event goes from 10AM – 6PM. We’ll be there chatting with other knitters, filling our baskets with yarn, and hopefully winning some prizes! Hope to see you there.